I’m sure I’m not the only homebrewer who has brewed something which turns out well only to struggle to recreate it exactly due to a lack of information. It got to a point where I had to do something about it.
After doing some searching on the internet I found a few examples of brew sheet’s that I started to take elements from.
After a few brews, I’ve whittled away at the sheet to create something that I find quite useful – it’s split on to two pages so if you print double sided it fits on to one piece of paper.
On page 1 you have the brew vitals such as OG, FG, IBU’s etc. A section for your grain bill and any notes about the grist, followed by hop additions with room for plenty of information. I write ‘dry hop’ in the boil time section for any beers that I dry hop. Next there’s a small section on the mash; mash type, amount of water, PH and any treatments, as well as mash steps, boil length and a section to write your pre-boil gravity. There is also a small section for brew day notes for anything that comes up on the day. In the header you have a bottling date section so you can quickly see when the beer was bottled.
Page 2 has a more detailed breakdown of your water profile where you can write what your existing water profile is, any adjustments you make and what your adjusted profile is. Then there’s a table for your fermentation tracking – how much beer you have, gravity checks, any racking that you do and finally bottling or kegging details.
The final section is actual numbers achieved and efficiencies to keep track of how your setup performs and a tasting notes section. The tasting notes section is short but if you want more details I like to print a BJCP judging form and do a proper tasting – the tasting notes can go in the folder with the brewsheet giving me a complete start to finish picture of the brew.
It works well for me but I’m sure it will continue to evolve. Feel free to use it for yourself, you can download it here. If you do use it and have any feedback leave me a comment!
SIGN UP TO LET’S MAKE BEER BLOG